Thursday, June 04, 2009

All Good Things Must Come to an End!


Look at all that schwag!!! Actually it's just the fine folks at the outdoor booth for Rabbids Go Home. They collected all the shwag that you didn't want (no paper products, and no perishables allowed) in that giant toilet, and gave you underwear in return. You could choose between boxers or thongs!

I decided to spend the last day playing all the games that I didn't get to play in previous days.

Out of all of those games, one game in particular really struck my fancy. That game is an action game called, Bayonetta. The aforementioned action is very fast-paced and fluid, quite reminiscent of the Devil May Cry series. The main character is a witch that wields two-firearms, a katana, and casts magic spells. Can you say, "tasty combo action?" This game is just too much fun! The artwork is gorgeous, the main character is simply one of the greatest female characters in videogames thus far, and the gameplay is very intuitive. Within minutes of starting to play, you will be chaining together jaw-dropping combos, to take out gigantic enemies that barely fit on the screen. Speaking of "screen," I'm sorry to say that I was only able to take a few screenshots, when a Sega employee kindly asked me not to. Sorry guys, I tried.

Be honest, when you look at the character Bayonetta long enough, doesn't she remind you a little bit of Sarah Palin?! It must be the cute glasses and the sly wink!
Bayonetta oozes sex appeal and ballet-like violence in a single breath. One of my favorite magic spells, is one in which the main character's hair comes to life in the form of a monster that towers over her. It is at this point that we notice, she is completely naked! Her hair is actually several miles long, and very strategically wrapped about he immodest parts. The hair monster then comes to life, and destroys the giant 4-story monster that acted as an end-level boss. It's a process that is truly difficult to explain, without it being seen in person.

My next foray was into the world of PC gaming. Alienware was there showing off their top of the line products. However, even at the Alienware booth, their own products were demoted by this amazing curved display from Ostendo. What a beauty!

As nice as the curved display was, it was old tech that had already been mentioned before in the media. However, what I came to lay my eyes upon next, was something that I couldn't even believe existed in 2009. I'm talking about the PCI video card by Fusion-io, called the ioXtreme. This video card carries 80GB on a single PCIe card, and bridges the gap between your RAM and disk drives. Remember that it's your slow disk drive, with it's moving parts, that is the bottle-neck in this process. The demonstrations for this device simply blew me away. Look at the pictures below:
You see all those tiled screens on that huge display? Each one of them is a video file (they were all popular movie trailers), and they are all being run simultaneously. Big deal, right? Well, they are all being run at the same time off of one video card! Let's take a closer look:
You see that video card in the plexiglass display case? Yes, it's doing all the crunching you see above! The premise is that with a videocard of this caliber, your CPU doesn't get drained, or even taxed in the slightest. Amazing isn't it? I certainly thought so.

Well, that's all for this year. Thank you for sharing your precious time and comments with me. It's been a great experience. Hopefully, I'll be able to go again next year, and bring you more info from inside the belly of the beast. Until then, all the best and take care!

4 Comments:

Blogger ThePete said...

Did you get the boxers, or the thong? That part of your report was conspicuously missing.

11:32 PM  
Blogger JonSolo42 said...

Any "games of show" for you, Mehrdad? I thought there were too many teasers for games slated for 2010. I just don't think there's a point getting the hype machine started this early if there will be another E3 in between now and their release.

8:07 AM  
Blogger JonSolo42 said...

I love the art style and design in the Rabbids series. I kind of missed the boat on the whole Rayman phenomenon, but the crazy Rabbids do appeal.

I've never been a fan of Devil May Cry, which is why I've been pretty nonplussed about Bayonetta. But from your description, it does sound fun and cool. Ever think of moonlighting as a line producer or promoter? :P But seriously, for whatever weird reason, the look of the game just didn't appeal to me. I get that the librarian look is sexy, but somehow the Palin reference doesn't do it for me.

I haven't heard a thing about the ioXtreme, thanks for the tip, Mehrdad. It certainly sounds exciting. People are talking about Intel's upcoming "larrabee" many, many core solution in the same way, but to have a working demo is really exciting.

Thanks for the report, Mehrad!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Mehrdad said...

Pete: I got both, but way more boxers than thongs.

Jon: The games of the show for me (in no particular order) were: Splinter Cell: Conviction, Bayonetta, and Rock Band Beatles. They were simply a cut above the rest.

As for the push for 2010 games. Well, it takes much longer for games to get made nowadays, and they want to make sure that they start the push nice and early, because they always have other games in the pipeline that need to be advertised as well. So from a PR standpoint, it's never to early.

I played Rayman briefly back in the day. It was very well done, but never blew my socks off. He always lacked a bit of personality. The Rabbids on the other hand, have oodles of personality. It's nice to see Ubisoft work the kinks out of a franchise, and finally get it right.

I always felt that Devil May Cry was good, but settled for style over substance. However, what Capcom didn't finish with DMC, Sega did with Bayonetta. The gameplay is very intuitive, and the visuals are a true feast for the senses. As for the Palin reference, it doesn't do it for me either. However, it was an observation that I had, and one that I believe to be true. I really believe that she was a partial model for the Bayonetta character. Also, whatever I said about the ioXtreme, I didn't say enough. I just wish I could afford a rig worthy of a $895 graphics card! Dude, I can't wait for Larrabee now!

You're both more than welcome. Thanks again for all the comments.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home