Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 2 - Still Going Strong!


The second day began with our descent onto the Nintendo booth first and foremost. I played Kirby's Epic Yarn, due to a friend's recommendation, and soon understood why he kept raving about the game. The level designs are brilliant! I mean, Shigeru Miyamoto brilliant. I played a 2-player coop game, and loved the teamwork aspect of conquering a level. The entire universe of the game is presented as a quilt, where enemies aren't killed so much as de-threaded. The artistry therein was so imaginitive, that I kept thinking about it later in the day.


Have you ever wished that your FPS's had more realistic, haptic feel to them? Are you a lunatic with too much money on their hands? Here's the controller for you! The Novint Falcon, not only gives you a gun to hold and shoot, but rumbles beautifully as well. It's actually more of a kick, than a rumble. Much like shooting a real gun.
As a result, I ended up playing House of the Dead on a laptop, for MUCH longer than I ever would have expected too. This definitely a "if I ever win the lottery" type of purchase.

Okay, now I know a lot of you want to know about the new Nintendo 3DS. Unfortunately, as much as I played it extensively, I was not allowed to take pictures of the unit in action. Sorry guys, but they were very strict about this. What I can tell you is that the 3D does indeed work without glasses, and can be adjusted to your specific eye-sight via a slider switch on the right hand side of the console. Also, most of the games were just demos, and weren't playable. There was no price or release date set yet. So all in all, it's still in the vaporware category for now. But, hopefully not for long.

What the....? Is this a joke, or a mistake? Didn't the Dreamcast debut in the 90's? Well, it's no joke. All of your favorite Dreamcast games, are being released as downloadable content, for the Xbox 360, and Apple iPod/iPad! Remember what the theme of my blog post yesterday was? Exactly! The games ran wonderfully, and definitely have held up over the years. As long as the pricing is affordable, I can't see why they won't be a success.
Oh, by the way, Super Monkey Ball was playable on the iPad, and it was wonderfully executed, as you tilt the pad itself to move your character. Much better than even an analog joystick, which was all the rage, when this game originally debuted.


Hey, what's all that noise? What's going on at the DefJam booth? OMG! Is that Redman and Method Man of Wu-Tang? Yes, it was a free concert!


After, all that auditory goodness, I needed to give my eyes something to feast on...
I loved this. It was a television, that had been outfitted to produce a 3D picture, without the aid of special eyewear. The name of the company was 3D Fusion. I hope to hear more from them in the future.

At every E3, there is one game whose theme makes it stand out from the rest of the pack. This year's game that haunts my memory the most is Homefront. The premise is that North Korea has successfully invaded America, and taken over the western half. The add campaign for this game has been very "in your face," and terrifyingly executed. Their booth was basically a prison camp for Americans that needed to be re-educated. They handed out pamphlets that asked you to snitch on anyone who resists, and also teach you basic Korean phrases. Their ad department gets an A+ from me in all categories. Hopefully, the game lives up to the hype.

Sorry to leave on such a somber note, but I must get some sleep. Hopefully, I can cleanse our palates with tomorrow's posting. Until then, take care and get some rest!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger JonSolo42 said...

Yay, Kirby!
So any sign of Singularity?

12:34 AM  
Blogger JonSolo42 said...

I hope your Day Three went smoothly. Hopefully you got to catch footage of Red Faction: Armageddon, Journey and Super Scribblenauts, too.

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home