Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 3 - The End is Here...I Get to Sleep Again!


Ah, the last day of E3. This is the day where I basically get to play all the games that I didn't get to earlier. I'm so amped up, that I don't even miss sleep at this point. I have the free energy drinks, that are dispersed by the lovely young ladies below, to thank for this. Thanks ladies!

When I'm not playing games on the last day, I also get to really take in the sights and sounds of E3. In effect, I get to truly enjoy all the nuances that the different exhibitors are trying to expose my brain to.

My first stop, was to get my picture taken with the Playboy Playmates at the Mafia II booth.
Now, the very fact that they secured actual Playboy models as their booth babes, is impressive enough. (Note: In fact, in 11 years of E3 attendance, the only other company that I can think of who accomplished this was Eidos, back in the day). However, what was most impressive, was that they switched Playboy models on us every day! These were the models for the last day:
Yowch! Playmate of the Year for 2006?! There are models in Los Angeles that would kill for those credentials.

I spent a lot of time in South Hall, looking at all the nuttiness around me. The next stop was the Luche Libre booth. Where they had set up an actual wrestling ring, and had invited many actual Luchadores to entertain us. Check out this surreal picture of the wrestlers in their outfits, playing their own game.
Then there was an autograph signing, where they were giving out full-replica Lucha Libre wrestling masks. Now I have a friend who bought one as a gift, for another friend, and even at a discount wholesaler, it was roughly $23-35. Meanwhile, at E3 they were giving them away!
Now, did you think that they would have a ring set up, and not give us a wrestling match? Yeah, the match was basically a given. However, the unusual cast of characters were a surprise to all. I challenge you to make sense of this series of pictures. If you can, then whatever you're doing for a living is a waste. Because, you should either be head of the CIA, or at the very least working for NASA.
I still can't figure out why a videogame website's mascot, a psychopathic teddy bear, or a Luchador are in the same ring. Then again, I was too busy laughing to figure it out.

Afterwards, I went to the Square Enix booth, to see the new downloadable games that people were going crazy for. The ladies were loving The Tales of Bearsworth Manor.

The guys seemed to be more into the new Space Invaders: Infinity Gene game, which had old school graphics, but very variegated play mechanics. One level was Tempest-like, while another would look like classic Space Invaders, but in three dimensions. Very cool stuff.
However, the pièce de résistance was a blast from the past, and it was nothing more than a demo, running on an iPhone mock-up.
Tell me that doesn't instantly take you back. They're going to make a mint off of these games.

Finally, I spent a lot of time playing the heck out of the new Koei musou-type game. They've already done a musou Gundam game, now it's time for a new frachise to carry the torch; Fist of the North Star: Ken's Revenge.
I must admit, that while it was everything a Fist of the North Star game should be, like all musou-styled games it falls flat after a while. Waves upon waves of enemy soldiers, lining up to die simply ends up in boredom after awhile.

Oh, I forgot to do a "Celebrity Sightings" list. So I'll do one now:
  • Elijah Wood.
  • Steven Spielberg.
  • Levar Burton.
  • Jon Heder.
  • Clifton Collins Jr.
I won't add celebrities that were there to do business (i.e. Method Man, Redman, etc.).

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully, we'll meet again in the future, and I'll have many more new E3 stories to tell. Until then, take care and happy gaming!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home